Bittersweet weekend

I had a emotionally draining weekend. I used to hate weekends because of my husbands excessive drinking - now it's the rehab visits. My husband had his first "day out" for completing Step 5. I invited him to a function at my daughter's school. Huge mistake. She was crying and clingy all day. He was weird and kept staring at me. He says it's because he just wanted to see me, because he knows what he had lost. It was creepy. Upsetting, unsettling.
I had a throbbing headache by the time we got home, and my daughter and I had a nap. I then spent most of the rest of the weekend trying to get her to calm down and stop being so emotionally draining. I honestly don't know what to do. Do I keep her away form him? Do I change my attitude and suck it up and ruin every weekend for the next two months and might I add keep giving him false hope that I will take him back. Because that's what he reads into it. He thinks he still has a chance. I am really at my limits. I can feel the pressure building up and I know I am at risk of blowing. Worst, I will probably blow at my daughter who seems to be in the firing line all the time. I really don't know how to handle this situation. I am at wits end.
I did some homey things this weekend to make myself feel better (normal). I preserved beetroot and tried a new recipe for a dessert. It all turned out great. I cooked Sunday lunch with all the South African trimmings and invited my sister and her friend over - not that her mood contributed to the overall situation. I just felt relieved last night when my daughter was finally asleep and I could sit on my back porch, smoking a cigarette, having a cup of sweet tea and breathing a sigh of relief. But it felt so wrong to be relieved that the weekend is over. I should enjoy weekends, not fear them.
At least I've made a decision. I'm not seeing my husband again and I am not taking my daughter to visit for the next 4 weekends. I just really need a break. So I will be meeting with the social worker at the rehab today, and my husband's councillor to inform them of my intentions.
My husband probably won't take it well, but well, that is his problem to deal with. As they say, a decision without action really means you haven't decided.
It's Monday now and I will just have to get through this week one day at a time as usual, dealing with one challenge at a time. There simply is no workable alternative.

Just for fun I'm adding the recipe for the dessert - try it, it's worth it!


Ingredients

1 large jam roll
200g fresh strawberries, halved, leaves removed
15 ml suger
30 ml gelatine
30 ml cold water
250 ml custard
250 ml cream
75 ml warm apricot jam
Extra straweberries to dip in melted chocolate for decoration.

Slice the jam roll into 5mm slices and line a round mixingbowl with volume of 1 litre with the slices. Place them as close together as possible.
Mix the strawberries with the sugar and leave in the freezer for about 30min.
Mix the gelatine and the cold water. Heat in the  microwave for 10 seconds to disolve the gelatine.
Wisk the cream until stiff, soft and pointy. Mix the custard and gelatine well and slowly fold the cream in.
Place 2 thirds of the mixture in the caked bowel.
Mix the strawberries with the last third of the mixture and pour into the caked bowl before it starts setting. Top off with more cake slices so it's completely sealed.
Leave in the fridge for atleast 2 hours to set before turning it out.
After turning it out, coat with melted apricot jam and decorate with choclate dipped strawberries.

Supposedly enough for 6 people - but you won't be willing to share!

1 comments: